Friday, August 29, 2008

Adventures in case binding.

AUGHHH. What a frustrating morning.

Here's the problem. I can do coptic binding all day long, I can longstitch like crazy, but case binding... I always have issues with case binding. I can never figure out how to structure the spine. When I have my cover boards cut, and I have the hard spine piece cut, I always have problems deciding how to glue them to the card that makes up the spine hinge. So I don't have the right amount or shape of space for the book block. Then when I glue the book block into the case, I end up with a book that either won't fully close, or won't open all the way. It's a real bummer to have a beautiful book put together, with leather covers and hand-sewn headbands, sanded paper edges and snakeskin leather quarter binding - to then have the whole book be a throw-away. Curses! So frustrating.

I never have these issues when I don't use that third piece of bookboard for the hard spine. And I can't seem to get the right French groove going when I use a hard spine piece. I'll have to post up some photos so you all might be able to help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

3 comments:

Kiley said...

I'm no help to you- I make all my case bound books with a piece of card stock for the spine.

My only thought has to do with the space between your spine piece and your board pieces. The man I learned to bind from taught us by using square metal rods to get the right space between our spine piece and the boards. They might be a 1/4" I'll try to remember to measure them later.

Iris @ Pied Crow Press said...

That's what I think too. It's got to be something about the space between the covers and the spine piece. Or the placement - I've seen techniques where all three pieces are on the same side of the card, some where the spine piece is on the outside, some where it's on the inside... I guess I'll just have to play around with it.

Billie said...

Hi Iris

There are some useful videos on You Tube that might help you. This is part 4 of 6 and features the spine area
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZTXeghn-F8&feature=related

Well worth a look.

Billie