Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Lately!

I've been busy as usual. But some cool things happened:

library


We made a library! We had this little alcove on the landing of our stairs, with an etagere and some knick-knacks on it, for so long. Finally we got sick of the etagere and decided to move some things around. Joe convinced me the landing was large enough for the bookshelf.... just! So now I cuddle up here with my super-soft woven cotton throw blanket and enjoy tea and books. Right under a lovely window, too. 

Also...

blockprint01


I learned to block print. It started with a Speedball linocut kit that we found on sale at the mall. For only $10, and I had wanted to learn block printing for ages. So for my first one I decided on something simple (yeah, right!) like a rhinoceros.

Meet Leonard:

blockprint04


Since my first linocut turned out so remarkably well, I ordered some pink Speedball stamp blanks on Etsy and once they arrived, I got to work:

blockprint02


On the upper left is a cafe racer that Love commissioned, then a couple goldfish in honor of my aquatic kids, a little girl in a rainstorm, and my very favorite so far, a logo for the Etsy shop!

blockprint03


It's actually about half this size, and I was astonished that it turned out so clearly, especially with all those tiny letters! I drew it by hand, reversed it onto the rubber and cut from there. The only thing that didn't turn out perfect - the N in the AND is backwards! Oops.

In other news, I bought some succulents for some ceramic planters in the house, and on the soil of one of them was a big patch of moss. So I bought a little hurricane jar and now, like every good Etsian, I have a moss terrarium.

moss


We bought some bookshelves for the office, which is going through a mini-remodel right now.  There are notes on this picture - click to go to Flickr and see them! :)

bookshelf


And finally, I haven't been up to much on the book front lately. But I did manage to make this tiny spring book, with a cotton ribbon around the middle and a button closure.

springjournal


I also went to the beach with my fabulous friend Ryan. Hilarity ensued.

beach05



beach02



beach01



stachediptych


That's all for now. Hope you're all doing well!

5 comments:

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

I love the library you made! Super!
And I don't really know about the mustache though, I think you look better without! :) Hilarious!

Iris said...

The library is really nice because it's only a few feet from the couch, and Lover Boy likes to watch TV for hours in the evenings. I'm not so hot on TV, but I can read in the library now, he can watch TV, and we can still be together.

The moustaches were a very silly idea - some seaweed and too much coffee! Haha. :)

Simon said...

I love your block prints (and the mini spring book is gorgeous). Do you fancy a swap of a couple of offcut prints - See http://papercurious.blogspot.com/2009/02/bank-note-book.html Regards Simon

SarahKelley said...

Well aren't you a riot?! Love the library and the rhino-- really great! Found a pic of the grumpy kitty and one pretty fish!
Nice blog!

TJ Buckley said...

hello iris - i just stumbled upon your blog and i really love it - i, too, love beautiful paper and stuff, in fact i'm a stuff-aholic - i am relatively new to blogging and i love my blog, tho i don't write as often as i would like... i am a freelance writer and i also create things handmade (bookmarks, cards, coasters, jewelry, etc) and i am a huge etsy fan (tho not a participant - yet) stay happy & keep up the good works!
TJ Googins (SevenSistersArts)